OpenDocMan - Help
Add File - File Location
This box allows you to browse your local computer to find a file. Click
the "Browse..." button to bring up a popup prompt. Navigate to your file,
then click "Open". Once you have done this, the location of your file should
show up in the text box, and you can continue to fill out the rest of the
Add File - Category
This box allows you to define which category your document corresponds
to. Make sure this fits, because many people will search for documents based
on this field.
Add File - Department
This box allows you to define, for each department, the corresponding access
rights you want users to have.
Add File - Authority
This box allows you to define a specific type of access for departments,
including forbidden, view, read, modify, and admin
Add File - Description
This box allows you to attach a short description to the file, which
will be used in the file listings, and also during searches. Try to be as
precise as possible. Use the Comment section
if you need more space
Add File - Comment
This box allows you to attach a longer message about the file, maybe explaining
instructions on how to open or view the file, etc..
Add File - Example
Let's assume you want to set up the following access rights on a file:
After you select the file location
and category, do the following to set the
file permissions to match above example:
- Only you can administer the file
- Only your department can Modify the
- Only the IS department can Read the file
- Only the Bacti department has View rights
- Anyone else is Forbidden
Note: There is also an "All departments" field, which you can use to set
all the departments to the same, whether it be admin, read, view, etc..
- By default, you are set with admin permissions
on your new file. See the "Specific Permissions Settings" section. You should
see only your username selected under all but the forbidden column.
- In the Department drop-down box,
select your department from the dropdown.
- Notice the radio toggle buttons below the Department box. These are
used to set up each department with specific "department wide" permissions.
- In the Authority section, click
on the Modify button. Your entire department
is now set to be able to modify the file
- In the department drop-down box, select the IS department
- In the Authority section, click on Read . The entire IS department is now set to be able
to read the file
- In the department drop-down box, select the Bacti department
- In the Authority section, click on the View
button. The entire Bacti department is now set to be able to view the file
- In the department drop-down box, select "Default Setting for unset
- In the Authority section, click on the Forbidden . Any department not specifically
set is now set to forbidden
- Now click on the "Add document" button to submit your file
You may also notice as you are setting permissions that you can go "back"
to another department, and the settings are retained.
Rights - Admin
This level of access means you can do anything to the file including downloading,
updating, deleting, etc..
Rights - Modify
This level of access means you can update the file, but not remove it
Rights - Read
This level of access means you can
Rights - View
Rights - Forbidden
This level of access means you may not have any access to the file whatsoever
and will not see it in any lists, or searches.